All along Mixed Media Art has supported creative ideas to the stage of implementing them to success using materials that are readily available in our homes or those that are relatively cheap to buy compared to undertaking the corporate route of specialty with an entire range to choose from and which you are expected to match. This at times can be very frustrating.
Talking of readily available materials, visually textured backgrounds are easily created by use of text pages obtained from old books, magazines, conference proceedings or even knitting patterns. From them you can create a great background art since they are of different paper textures, font’s types and sizes. On these materials you may also find diagrams or sketches that will effectively add to the background layering. Words could also be used to add meaning and create a story
Old books are more preferred than the use of a book of value because from old books you can create many pages and the covers can be used as substrates for future projects. They can also be used as papermache to provide strength by shrining them together as well as creating interest and especially when knitting or dress making patterns are in play.
Friday, 22 March 2013
Thursday, 14 March 2013
The process and materials for making a Black Altered Book Page are fairly easy but when all is completed, the end product is so beautiful because of the brightness of active patterns and color. The tools and materials used include:
- Bottled American lamp acrylic paint
- 3 – 5 different sheets of origami paper that come into styles
- Small punch like heart, flower or star
- Aleenes Tacky glue or any other white one
- Sakura metallic gellly roll pen
The technique is also a straight forward activity
- Paint your page spread with black acrylic and let it dry
- Cut and punch origami paper and adhere with glue. Thin wood pulp Origami paper work better especially for punches and is less expensive unlike the washi papers that have toothy, fibrous texture and are more expensive. Washi paper is best for the corners and cut papers. Glue is applied with a toothpick which helps to keep the other parts of the background better surfaces to work on.
- You can be creative and draw a pathway (or several of them) with one of your pens and write a favorite quote, something you want to say, or perhaps about your joy in creating art.
You will fill the areas with your favorite patterns as you chose to fill the background with stars and symbols. Many great patterns can be obtained online and there is a lot of fun in creating these pages.